At our last Role Model Relay session we introduced 100 girls to some terrific women. Among those who stood to speak were a barrister, a DJ and radio presenter and a top-notch shoe designer – demonstrating, once more, that girls can be whatever they set their minds to.
All our marvellous role models engaged with the girls freely and joyfully during the swap-around table sessions, where the girls got the chance to get up-close and personal with them.
Jennie Johnson, the co-founder and CEO of Kids Allowed, gave us the benefit of her experience with these top ten tips:
1. Do not be a sheep: make your own decisions, don’t do it ‘cos everyone else is.
2. Do something you love: follow your passion, your heart.
3. Seize every opportunity: put up your hand, give it a go, speak to that person.
4. Fail: learn from it & pick yourself up & don’t be afraid to change paths.
5. Look after yourself: you only have one body, make sensible choices.
6. Be happy: look after your mental health, if you feel rubbish ask for help.
7. Be kind randomly: don’t expect reciprocation.
8. Don’t bully: be & make real friends.
9. Be nice to the geeks: you will be employing, marrying them.
10. Ensure you are loved & cherished as you deserve to be: do not put up with anything else
We think you’ll agree – these really are top tips.